What is a cookie?
Also known as browser cookies or tracking cookies, cookies are small, often encrypted text files, located in browser directories. They are used by web developers to help users navigate their websites efficiently and perform certain functions
What IS NOT a cookie?
Cookies are NOT viruses. Cookies use a plain text format. They are not compiled pieces of code so they cannot be executed nor are they self-executing
What information does a cookie store?
For the most part cookies will contain a string of text that contains information about the browser. To work, a cookie does not need to know where you are from, it only needs to remember your browser.
Types of cookies
Technical cookies: They are the most basic and allow, among other things, to know when a human or an automated application is navigating, when an anonymous user and a registered user navigate, basic tasks for the operation of any dynamic web.
Analysis cookies: They collect information about the type of navigation you are carrying out, the sections you use most, the products consulted, time zone of use, language, etc.
Advertising cookies: They show advertising according to their navigation, their country of origin, language, etc.
First and third-party cookies
First party cookies are those cookies that originate from (or be sent to) the Web site you’re currently viewing. Third-party cookies ARE originate from (or will be sent to) a Web site that is not the site you are visiting.
Cookies can be deleted?
Yes. You can choose to delete existing cookies, allow or block all cookies, and set preferences for certain websites.
Setting cookies on populars browser
Here’s how to access a specific cookie from the Chrome browser. Note: These steps may vary depending on your browser version:
- Go to Settings or Preferences using the File menu or by clicking the customization icon on the top right.
- You will see different sections, click Show advanced options.
- Go to Privacy, Content Settings.
- Select All cookies and site data.
- A list with all the cookies sorted by domain will appear. To make it easier for you to find cookies for a particular domain, enter the address in the Search for cookies field, in whole or in part.
- After this filter will appear on the screen one or more lines with the cookies of the requested web. Now just select it and press the X to proceed to its elimination.
To access the cookies configuration of the Internet Explorer browser follow these steps (they may vary depending on the browser version):
- Go to Tools, Internet Options
- Click on Privacy.
- Move the slider until you adjust the level of privacy you want.
To access the cookies configuration of the Firefox browser follow these steps (they may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Options or Preferences depending on your operating system.
- Click on Privacy.
- In History choose Use a custom settings for the history.
- You will now see the Accept cookies option, you can activate or deactivate it according to your preferences.
To access the cookies configuration of the Safari browser for OSX follow these steps (they may vary depending on the version of the browser):
- Go to Preferences, then Privacy.
- In this place you will see the option Block cookies to adjust the type of block you want to perform.
To access the Safari browser settings for iOS, follow these steps (they may vary depending on your browser version):
- Go to Settings, then Safari.
- Go to Privacy and Security, you will see the Block Cookies option to adjust the type of block you want to perform.
To access browser cookies settings for Android devices follow these steps (they may vary depending on the browser version):
- Run the browser and press the Menu key, then Settings.
- Go to Security and Privacy, you will see the Accept cookies option to enable or disable the check box.
To access browser cookies settings for Windows Phone devices follow these steps (they may vary depending on your browser version):
- Open Internet Explorer, then More, then Settings
- You can now enable or disable the Allow cookies box.